[OSList] OST - Open Systems Thinking

Skye Hirst skyeh at autognomics.org
Tue Dec 13 14:49:22 PST 2011

My training wheels were put on one day when I started riding the two
wheeler and I never knew when my brother lifted the little wheels off
the ground and I rode without support. Amazing what learning takes
place so easily in this livinghoodness.

On Dec 13, 2011, at 3:53 PM, Harrison Owen wrote:

> Ah Michael, you old ‘cyclist you! I surely get the picture,
> understand the drift, but my perspective may be a little different.
> As the father of 5 and grandfather of 6 (last one still too small
> to ride…yet) I know something of training wheels and holding on to
> the back of the seat.
>

> First for the training wheels. Fantastic invention. Provides a
> relatively painless introduction to the great art of cycling while
> offering relief to the aching back of the parent (you don’t have to
> bend over while running). Seems to go pretty much all by itself.
> Lesson for Open Space? Do it simple, do it smart – and never do
> more than you have to (One more thing not to do!).
>

> Then The Steady Hand Routine. There comes a time when the training
> wheels come off, but still a little learning to do in preparation
> for the solo ride. Your “Steady Hand” can help with the transition.
> But at a price. You get to stoop and run a lot. L But Thank God –
> Most kids get it real quick, maybe even quicker than they should,
> and always faster than their parents. But that is what youth is all
> about. Suddenly you find yourself running a lot faster than you
> really wanted to. Of course, you could try to hold on, but that
> only creates a lose/lose situation. You get pooped and the kid gets
> frustrated. Answer? Let go!! Lesson for Open Space? I think it is
> the same thing.
>

> Sooner or later we come to the whole matter of STOPPING. You can be
> assured that one way or another, and hopefully without a great deal
> of pain and destruction… Stopping will take place and the ride will
> end. It could well be that some handholding and a band aid or two
> will be needed, but for the most part a lot of cheering from the
> curb, along with some small amount of coaching, will take care of
> the business. As it turns out, there is more to riding a bike than
> pumping the peddles, but that is just details.
>

> When it is all over there is the marvelous opportunity for some
> great conversation along with a suitable libation. A Coke will do,
> but there are alternatives for the parent.  Just think of all the
> rides to come and the possibility of shared adventures… On your
> own, Kid and you can forget about training wheels and the helping
> hand. And with a little luck, you can share your new found
> knowledge and skills with your younger siblings. YES! It is called
> paying it forward.
>

> Harrison
>

> Harrison Owen
>
> 7808 River Falls Dr.
>
> Potomac, MD 20854
>
> USA
>

> 189 Beaucaire Ave. (summer)
>
> Camden, Maine 20854
>

> Phone 301-365-2093
>
> (summer)  207-763-3261
>

> www.openspaceworld.com
>
> www.ho-image.com (Personal Website)
>
> To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives
> of OSLIST Go to:http://lists.openspacetech.org/listinfo.cgi/oslist-
> [...]

Skye Hirst, PhD
The Autognomics Institute
A Living World-view; the nature of reality

skyeh at autognomics.org
www.autognomics.org
Twitter @autognomics