[OSList] Steve Jobs & Open Space

Jeff Aitken r.jeff.aitken at gmail.com
Mon Dec 5 23:01:38 PST 2011

John, I just finished ty's blog piece and see the limitations. the book
that deacon wrote with cash man and colleagues delves deeply into systems
and cybernetics and builds on shannon's work in information theory. look
around at some of the other posts and the articles on his site: all
thinking that was shaped and refined into the book. curious about your take!

Jeff

On Monday, December 5, 2011, John Watkins <johnw536 at mac.com> wrote:
> Jeff,
> I think the author of this article gets so caught up in the ontological
problems of Bateson's views that he misses the real point:  that what
Bateson is referring to is an epistemological process, that is, the process
of differentiating information from noise that perception and cognition
does (Kant was handicapped in his notion of "a priori objects of
perception" in not having a theory of developmental cognitive psychology,
something that Piaget later added to this debate), and its implications for
how we understand systems.  Thus it forms the basis for cybernetics, and is
directly connected with later work by Prigogine and Stengers on
"dissipative systems" or what later became known as "open systems."  The
combination of pattern emergence and open (dissipative) systems creates new
orders.  We were having this discussion awhile back; it's intriguing to
have it come around again from the point of view of information theory a la
Bateson!
> John
>
> On Dec 5, 2011, at 7:39 PM, Jeff Aitken wrote:
>
> http://www.teleodynamics.com/?p=60
>
> I had not seen his blog before - more juicy material on Bateson,
emergence, information... by him and colleagues.

>>> www.innovationpartners.com