[OSList] Open Space for just 2 hours and 10 people - any advice?

Leslie Zucker (Creative/DC) LeslieZ at CreativeDC.com
Thu Dec 22 06:26:57 PST 2011

Hello everyone,

I got such great feedback last time I tried this, I’m giving it a second try… thanks in advance.

I have been asked to facilitate a small group of just 10 people in a pilot test of a short Open Space of just two hours. I tried to get more time, but that’s all the boss felt comfortable with.

It’s already scheduled for this coming Wednesday the 28th – that’s in 6 days, gulp!

The purpose is to gather their input for an initial training needs assessment.

The 10 people are all from the same division within my company – but not my division.  I will facilitate it – my first time facilitating an Open Space.

The invitation to them and agenda I’ve drafted are below…. Any reactions, words of advice, wisdom, tips, etc?

Invitation I plan to send to the invitees tomorrow…

What training matters to you? What is urgent now?
Come join us for a fun and provocative gathering on Wednesday, December 28th 2:00 - 4:00 PM to discuss these questions.

Held in the large conference room – 7th floor. No need to bring or prepare anything – just yourself and an open mind!
By the end of this gathering….

·         Every issue of concern to anybody will have been raised, if they took responsibility for doing that.

·         All issues will have received full discussion, to the extent desired.

And just a day or two later, the issues and discussions will be documented and in the hands of all participants.

And from here down is my own preparation…

Draft Schedule
2:00 - 2:30: Opening Circle / Create agenda / Marketplace  (with 2 timeslots, 3 locations each)
2:30 - 3:00: Session 1
3:00 – 3:30: Session 2
3:30 - 4:00: Closing Circle

Preparations
Signs of:

·         4 principles,

·         1 law,

·         two questions,

·         time slots,

·         location of groups

Graphics of:

·         bumblebee,

·         butterfly,

Supplies:

·         Masking tape,

·         markers,

·         flip charts,

·         construction paper (for the agenda topics),

·         Blank template for notetakers: Title of session, Convener, List of participants, Discussion and recommendations

Leslie S. Zucker
Training Manager
Human Resources Division

Creative Associates International
5301 Wisconsin Ave. NW, Suite 700
Washington, DC 20015
Office: 202-772-0022
Fax:    202-363-1258
Email:  LeslieZ at creativeDC.com<mailto:LeslieZ at creativeDC.com>
Website Address:  www.creativeassociatesinternational.com<http://www.creativeassociatesinternational.com/>