[OSList] 12-15 people: the dynamics

Joaquim Baptista pxquim at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 10:40:15 PDT 2011

Greetings,

In the first OST meeting that I facilitated, the 20 participants
formed a single group around the session proposed by a key
participant. As a result, the conversation happened among 5 persons
while the others watched. At the beginning of the next time slot, the
proponents did not move to their proposed places, so the big session
took all the available time. Still, a proponent still complained that
his topic was not addressed, even as he failed to make himself
available to discuss the topic.

In the second OST meeting that I facilitated, the pattern was about to
happen again. I intervened, and proposed that the big topic would be
addressed better in two smaller groups that allowed everyone to engage
in the conversation. The two groups met and, when it was time for the
coffee break, one of the groups moved next to the other and the groups
presented their conclusions to each other. Overall, it worked very
well, with the ~20 people meeting in 4-5 sessions instead of just one.