[OSList] 12-15 people: the dynamics

Lisa Heft lisaheft at openingspace.net
Wed Aug 3 17:20:19 PDT 2011

Hi, Dan -

Whether small or large groups, it sounds like there are some very
specific interpersonal dynamics going on here.

Open Space - and all dialogue work - is so much more than the meeting
itself or the method used. And the meeting is an event that is part of
a living system and a chain of interactions, events and behaviors,
right?

Upon reflection - do you feel there is anything you could have done
differently in the invitation, the nature of invitation, in doing all
your investigation work as you analyzed before choosing the dialogue
tool (objectives, context, culture, what will happen before and after,
underlying issues and events, how this event fits into the culture or
work plan or interaction of a group, power dynamics...) and those
million other things one investigates, designs for, takes into
consideration and receives information about as part of the pre-work?

And: do you have any reflections about the way you open and frame
things and introduce the task folks are working on for the day - your
languaging, the way you create the invitational space - that you might
do differently?

I am not saying that you are the reason for any of this.  But of
course there are many times when we cannot change a system or a
situation - however we can change our own way of naming, interacting,
navigating. And as Open Space is more than the tasks of Open Space -
as it includes the facilitator's pre-work, interaction with client,
extensive pre-work and yes as you are saying, presence during the
event itself. Perhaps there are things you felt you did really well
and things you noticed in these realms?

Cheers from Córdoba,
Lisa

Lisa Heft
Consultant, Facilitator, Educator
Opening Space
lisaheft at openingspace.net

Ask me about these 2011 workshops for facilitators and others who
convene people: