[OSList] Would you like to contribute to a new book on leadership?

Jon Harvey jon at jonharveyassociates.co.uk
Tue Apr 12 10:36:46 PDT 2011

Dear friends

Prose & passion: Inspiring and sustaining leadership

There are many, many books on leadership: a search on Amazon just yielded a
list of 165,621 for example. Nonetheless, I am editing a new one and I am
looking for your help. This will be a different kind of leadership book as
it will be almost entirely written by everyday people practising everyday
leadership. My aim is to have a wide diversity of contributors from large
and small organisations, public, commercial & voluntary, and from all levels
with a wide variety of backgrounds and professions. It will be a book by
leaders for leaders.

Quite simply I am looking for what inspires & sustains people in their
leadership? What book, or poem, or story, or quote, or film, or person or
even passing remark has helped you become the leader that you are? And from
this article, what strength of insight, what ethical tiller or what beacon
idea sustains you when your leadership is tested?

For example a client who has become an old friend once told me that in his
first job (in a medium sized engineering company) he observed that the
managing director always came in the back door and walked through the
workshops to his office at the front. He once got the chance to ask him why
and the MD explained that this was his way of staying in touch with what was
going on. This principle of ‘staying in touch’ stuck with my friend and he
always made a point of either literally or metaphorically coming in the back
door as he rose to become (and then retired from) being chief executive of a
large organisation.

My intention is to collect & edit these contributions into a book that will
inspire people. My aim is that it will be a book that people will treasure
or want to give as a gift to friends, relatives and colleagues. All
contributions will be duly acknowledged (unless you really want to remain
anonymous) and I will obtain the necessary permissions to publish the
passages and poems etc. that you cite. I will also be writing an
introductory text, cataloguing the contributions, arranging for publication
and commissioning images to go in the book.

To be considered for inclusion in the book, please email me with the answers
to two questions:

1.       What book, poem, film, speech, painting, quote, story, or person
(or whatever) continues to inspire your leadership?

2.       What is it about this piece that inspires you and helps sustain you
as a leader? In other words, tell me the story behind your selection.

Regarding question 1, please note that I will need a copy of the text or
image you are referring to, together with a reference from where it came.
And regarding question 2, I am looking for something around 300 to 500
words.

I will reply to all emails sent to me and keep you in touch with what is
happening next.

Finally, thank you.

Very best wishes

Jon

___

Jon Harvey MBPsS

Director

"  <http://www.jonharveyassociates.co.uk/> www.jonharveyassociates.co.uk

( +44 (0) 7771 537535

( +44 (0) 1280 822585

›   <mailto:jon at jonharveyassociates.co.uk> jon at jonharveyassociates.co.uk

¹  Skype: jonsharvey

JHAL logo.jpg

Helping you connect the prose and the passion

to deliver superlative results

 <http://smallcreativeideas.blogspot.com/>
http://smallcreativeideas.blogspot.com/  for ideas about how to improve the
efficiency & effectiveness of public & third sector services

 <http://jonharveyassociates.blogspot.com/>
http://jonharveyassociates.blogspot.com/ for articles & ideas about
leadership and organisational change from a whole systems perspective

 <http://twitter.com/JonSHarvey> http://twitter.com/JonSHarvey for
conversations, ideas & questions to help build a more ambitious, creative
and fair world

 <http://tinyurl.com/JonHarveyLI> http://tinyurl.com/JonHarveyLI to connect
with me on LinkedIn

Jon Harvey Associates Ltd

Registered Office: Chandos House, School Lane, Buckingham, MK18 1HD

Company Number 6661588. VAT Registration Number 936 2921 11

Please consider the environment before printing this email. Thank you.

All business mileage is offset with
<http://www.carbon-clear.com/uk/index.php> http://www.carbon-clear.com