[OSList] World Peace Games and other 4th Grade Achievements

Elaine Hansen2 elaine.hansen at hansen-rd.com
Thu Apr 21 07:56:00 PDT 2011

Hi All,

I am sending this to you because more than anyone in the world I know – this
talk and way of being in the world will affirm the work and passion you have
for this Earth and the inhabitants – and you will know how to best use this.
Is it perfect?  I don’t know, but it certainly makes the conversation
accessible to more people – and especially the children who are inheriting
this crazy world we’ve helped create.

And as we say, you are allowed to pass.

And yes, I am very excited and probably overly optimistic and it is okay.

Yesterday, I watched this TED talk by John Hunter and was overwhelmed and
thrilled with the possibilities created by the game he co-created with the
children.  AND I saw the connections with Art of Hosting, Open Space, World
Café, Appreciative Inquiry, Positive Deviance, A Small Group’s Six
Conversations, Liberating Structures, and, and, and

John Hunter is a powerful storyteller.  The thought that John Hunter has
been using this game with his students for over 20 years has left my heart
full.  What if we could get the governments and peoples of the world to come
learn from these children and Mr. Hunter? Does that sound to grand an
ambition?  To create a world of children who have learned to “think and have
compassion and empathy and” – wow! Endless possibilities.  And the game
continues to evolve

Here is a link to his talk:
http://www.ted.com/talks/john_hunter_on_the_world_peace_game.html

Here is a link to the website about the World Peace Game:
http://www.worldpeacethemovie.com/about/core-principles/

And the documentary film company and :  http://www.rosaliafilms.com/ - I
want to try to bring this movie to my city to inspire a conversation.

World Peace Game’s Core Principles

<http://www.worldpeacethemovie.com/about/core-principles/j_hunter_kelley-2/>
http://www.worldpeacethemovie.com/uploads/2011/01/J_Hunter_KELLEY1.jpg

“Not a permanent system, but rather a temporary, internalized, flexible and
renewable practice.” – John Hunter

·         Contradictory elements can and should co-exist

·         Deliberate creation of an overwhelming sense of diverse complexity
or fostering, in other words
chaos

·         Encouragement of complex problem solving in a collaborative
situation

·         Stimulate the development of empathy and compassion

·         Promote the ability to hold and maintain multiple perspectives
simultaneously, around an issue while withholding judgment

·         Slowing down the problem solving process, provides:

o    Depth over time – Stimulation of and support for long term thinking

o    Increase in possible solutions

o    Richness (complexity)

·         Promote critical thinking via:

o    Apprehending the natural inherent complexity and simplicity mixture

o    Directly engaging with complexity vs. avoiding or parsing

o    Promoting non-attachment to phenomena as useful tool

·         Reveal personal inherent skills

·         Team-based solutions formed by deliberate pressures (i.e.
deadlines), and a sense of urgency

·         The ability to cultivate and maintain acute problem solving skills
over time

·         Facilitate Self-Reflective awareness through Self-Evident
Assessment (SEA) (internalized evaluation)

·         Creation of a reflective thinking log to follow personal
exploration of the process of mind habits

·         Show, understand, and appreciate the value of non-measurable
outcomes.

·         Extrapolation of actions/reactions in multiple directions/levels
at once

·         No experts

·         Luxury to fail

·         Flexibility

·         Elaboration

Elaine S. Hansen

 <http://hansen-rd.com/> Hansen Resource Development Inc

Skype: elaine.hansen

513.238.5999

iStock_Medium-stones-wee

...in the end, it is the reality of personal relationship that saves
everything.

Thomas Merton