[OSList] Visual Icons for the 4 Principles & 1 Law

Harold Shinsato harold at shinsato.com
Sun Apr 17 09:42:50 PDT 2011

The conspirators for the Open Space Technology facilitated Missoula
BarCamp put the 4 principles on the event t-shirt last year, and since
this year we're holding it in a beautiful new building, the Native
American Center on the Missoula campus of the University of Montana, the
t-shirt idea the passionate/responsible person is pursuing is to use an
aboriginal style iconography for the 4 principles and one law. (Maybe
think cave drawings.)

I know the visual icon for the one law is two feet. That's easy enough
and perhaps that could be in the center of this t-shirt design. But what
of the 4 principles? Any ideas?

Whoever comes is the right people
Whenever it starts is the right time
Whatever happens is the only thing that could have
When it's over it's over

This might be a stretch - but what do people think about correspondences
to the 4 directions of the Native American medicine wheel?  The
directions of sunrise and sunset clearly seem to correspond to start
time and end time. I wonder if whoever comes could be north and whatever
happens could be south?

A quick google search turned up this image which summarizes the aspects
of the medicine wheel (direction, element, color, principles):

http://www.nald.ca/library/learning/chikiken/pic63.gif

North -> Air, Animals, White, Receives Energy, Mental Aspect, Wisdom and
Logic (Whoever Comes?)
East -> Fire, Sun, Yellow, Determines Energy, Spiritual Aspect,
Illumination and Enlightening (Whenever it starts?)
South -> Water, Plants, Red, Gives Energy, Emotional Aspect, Trust and
Innocence (Whatever Happens?)
West -> Earth, Black, Holds Energy, Physical Aspect, Introspection and
Insight (When its over?)

Even the ordering seems to fit!

Very curious as to folks thoughts - especially as to how the convey the
principles through simple icons.

--
Harold Shinsato
harold at shinsato.com <mailto:harold at shinsato.com>