Opening the space for civic action

Christine Whitney Sanchez cwhitneysanchez at gmail.com
Wed Sep 8 19:40:28 PDT 2010

Dear Open Space Friends,

If you or someone you know will be in Arizona on September 23, 201,
please consider joining me and the Collaborative Spark group as we
open the space for civic action.  During the convergence, Justice
Sandra Day O'Connor and Frances Hesselbein will be listening carefully
because they will leave the open space for a reception and then on to
be interviewed during a dinner focusing on leadership and civic action.

Our convening question is:  If anything imaginable were possible, if
there were no constraints whatsoever, how can we participate,
collaborate and innovate to stimulate civic action in Arizona?

I'm especially excited about this event because it represents a
breakthrough in collaboration among some of our most respected social
sector organizations.

If you want more info, the press release is below my signature.  You
can register at www.itsuptomeaz.org.

Warm wishes from a hot Phoenix evening,

Christine

Christine Whitney Sanchez
CWS - Collaborative Wisdom & Strategy
2717 E. Mountain Sky Avenue
Phoenix, AZ 85048, USA
+1.480.759.0262
www.christinewhitneysanchez.com
www.innovationpartners.com
www.collaborativespark.com

Imagine discussing what you care most about in lively conversations
with people who want to make Arizona a better place.

Imagine contributing to innovative ideas and taking action to increase
the health, vitality and success of our state.

Arizona residents are invited to engage in a community conversation
designed to spur civic action on topics chosen by those who attend.
The conversation will be from 1:45 p.m. to 5:45 p.m. on Friday, Sept.
23, the Wyndham Phoenix Downtown, 50 W. Adams Street, Phoenix and is
among the activities featured during the “It’s Up to Me AZ” Day of
Civic Action, collaboratively sponsored by Arizona Foundation for
Women, Arizona Town Hall, Center for the Future of Arizona, Girl
Scouts Arizona-Cactus Pine, and O’Connor House. Admission to the
conversation is $10.

Collaborative Spark, a consulting group with expertise in large-group
conversations and deliberations, will guide the Open Space process,
which provides a simple, dynamic and powerful way for diverse groups
to engage in productive conversations.

Participants will be invited to host discussions about topics for
which they have passion and to formulate action based on where the
energy is. Conversation topics, selected by the participants
themselves, will be generated by this question: If anything imaginable
were possible, if there were no constraints whatsoever, how can we
participate, collaborate and innovate to stimulate civic action in
Arizona?

People who participate will discover ways to self-organize for action
around the issues that are most meaningful to them. The conversations
are designed to generate personal commitment and empowerment as a
shared experience and leadership that is based on collective action.
Diversity becomes a valuable resource, rather than something that
needs to be “managed.”

Best of all, the process is a lot of fun.

For more information, go to http://www.itsuptomeaz.org/.

If you are prepared to believe in the people, trust them, and
acknowledge that they are the true experts about what needs to be
done, then Open Space will deliver – and fundamental change is a
likely consequence.— Harrison Owen