A great rescue

JL Walker jlwalker at terra.cl
Fri Oct 15 10:01:31 PDT 2010

Dear Jaime thank you very much, no doubt you're right that this experience
will draw up many lessons, and still the complete story has many chapters
that will be written.

In my humble opinion there are four initials distinctions to do:

1. Nothing of all this drama probably would have happened if the owners of
the mine, which are private, they could have adopted the minimum security
measures required. This is another sad example of how little importance is
given to the human factor by many medium and small entrepreneurs in Chile
(and not only in mining). Case is also one of our greatest and best
opportunities for development.

2. The Chilean people and especially the one of the mining, which is
predominant in northern Chile, is accustomed to adversity and has a high
capacity for resilience. In the coming days there will be more clarity about
how they opened and held the space within their sixty nine days of
captivity. As seen up to here it seems that they were very successful and
extraordinary in all this transcendental sphere. With no doubt that what
they have put in stake here was the best of each one of them, and sure we
all can learn a lot of their most profound experience.

3. With the exception already noted for small and medium-scale mining, the
large Chilean mining industry has a good professional and technical level.
Achieving the target up with six hundred sixty feet deep, was a work of high
engineering and of jewelry precision. Almost a miracle some say. And also
they knew how to request the necessary assistance and support of exceptional
professionals foreigners, mainly Americans and Australians.

4. There has been a clear political will to do everything necessary to save
these thirty-three lives. New heroes and some more young great  leaders have
emerged, pulling the maximum political benefit from the circumstances. And
despite of some kind of over exploitation that makes me shame, I think that
they've done well and that we can be optimistic that this iconic experience
will become an effective lever for the development of work and the labor
relations in Chile, in some safer and healthier conditions.

Thanks Jaime again for your kind words and good wishes, and I am counting
the days for that for the first time I'll be able to give you a big hug on
our next XIX WOSonOS in Chile.

I'll see you later my dear friend,

Juan Luis

http://www.espacioabierto.net