Youth Leaders (on Boards)

Lisa Heft lisaheft at openingspace.net
Thu Oct 14 18:44:45 PDT 2010

Well there are examples of perhaps not prominent organizations, but
effective ones, that operate in Open Space and on Open Space
principles -

One has been the Swannanoa 4-H camp (a mountain camp for young people)
in North Carolina USA - at least when our colleague Chris Weaver ran
it (he described it as an Open Space Camp) that had both the camp days
co-created by the young people each day in Open Space - plus held its
strategic planning retreats in Open Space, and perhaps some other
elements as well. I don't know about Board of Directors - but clearly
these actions and activities reflected the organizational values,
productivity, and co-creation.  Clearly, strategic planning (as one
example) involves the Board and informs its (and the organization's)
work.
Here is a 2003 article that does not describe OS but is a small note
about that camp:
http://www.cals.ncsu.edu/agcomm/magazine/summer03/adventure.htm

There was Wondertree - a school in the Vancouver, Canada area, that
was (still is?) operated in Open Space -
http://www.wondertree.ca/about.html
I do not know as much about their early days but schools often have to
prove to local, regional or state overseeing agencies that they are
operating according to fairly strict guidelines.
And still they co-created, in Open Space.

And there are also some (all?) of the Open Space Institutes - I know
best about Open Space Institute US (OSI-US) - our Board operates in
open Space - perhaps some of you representing some of the other
Institutes can share how you work as well.
We have official Bylaws and such as required by law, have all the
items legally required for our non-profit organizational status.
And yet we were able to write out Bylaws both legally and reflecting
our OS values, language and culture.
And every meeting, and every project we work on, every action - it's
all done in Open Space.

What I'm saying is that even if there is the legal requirement for a
Board of Directors it can still be an organization run in Open Space.

I look forward to hearing about others...

Lisa

Lisa Heft
Consultant, Facilitator, Educator
Opening Space
lisaheft at openingspace.net

Ask me about the Open Space Learning Workshops - December 15-17, 2010
- San Francisco and in 2011 -- and the Power of Pre-Work in 2011