Youth Leaders (on Boards)

Harrison Owen hhowen at verizon.net
Thu Oct 14 09:29:47 PDT 2010

Bui - I know all about the legal requirements all of which make a certain
amount of sense. What does not make much sense to me is the (often) tacit
assumption that the Board IS the organization. Your point, I believe. It is
only a short step to the wonderful place where you spend more time/effort
running the business than doing the business. Talk about the tail wagging
the dog! Personally I don't hold out much hope that existing organizations
will see the error of their ways - the traditions and ingrained self
interests are so entrenched that movement is pretty well precluded. But
emerging organizations need not be condemned to the errors of their
predecessors - unless that is their choice. The critical question I think
is: What is the minimal level of formal structure necessary to meet the
legal requirements while providing the maximum timed/space for the heart and
soul of the enterprise - the living, evolving complex adaptive system?

This begins to turn standard procedure on its head. Used to be that when
starting a new enterprise (business, NGO, whatever) the first order of
business was to "get organized" - which usually meant creating a business
plan, charter, bylaws, Board, etc. I think our 25 years in Open Space has
taught us that this approach is definitely to put the cart before the horse.
The "horse" in this case is that nexus point created by the convergence of
passion and responsibility. No need to "organize things" - it will organize
itself. We call it self organization! Once there is some life it is then
useful to ask if there are some small things we need to do in order to
sustain that life.

And why would you take this reverse approach?  Answer is pretty simple to
me. It is all about efficiency, effectiveness and profitability (if profit
is important.) Of course if you don't care about any of that then by all
means go ahead and spend your time, money and effort on a whole mess of
things that almost inevitably turn out to be more than you want and
different than you need. Or so I think.

Harrison

Harrison Owen

189 Beaucaire Ave

Camden, ME 04843

207-763-3261 (Summer)

301-365-2093 (Winter)

Website www.openspaceworld.com

Personal Website www.ho-image.com

OSLIST To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options
<http://listserv.boisestate.edu/archives/oslist.html>

  _____