Youth Leaders (on Boards)

Lisa Heft lisaheft at openingspace.net
Mon Oct 11 12:07:29 PDT 2010

Hello dear colleagues -

So here are my 2 cents / pesos / rubles to add, from my experience on
- and serving as facilitator-consultant to - youth and youth-serving
organizational Boards, where young people have been involved at many
levels.  I am no expert - this is just what I have experienced and
observed.  Just a few things I wish to share to keep in mind when
thinking of including young people on a Board of Directors

The intention, as I understand it, is to *not* simply place young
people on Boards (and other committees or volunteer or staff
positions) in a way that tokenizes them.

(For those of you for whom English is not a home language - to
tokenize someone means placing them in a symbolic role because of
their characteristic - often meant as a negative term because the
whole person is not being valued - they are just being used as an image)

And to me, it is important for the strength of an organization to
always seek Board members who have the skills the Board needs - rather
than just great people or public figures or charismatic people.

To me, diversity is crucial - differences in culture and experience
enrich the inquiry, the product, the organization, the group thinking...
But to me it would be tokenizing - and often I see it is unfair to the
individual - to seek and place a young person on a Board (or a panel
or a committee) if they are simply young (or female, or a former
client or whatever) - if they do not also have the skills or resources
(financial, participatory, knowledge) to strengthen the Board.

There are amazing young people who are also incredible at things that
Boards need, if you wish that.

And I have seen young people (and other community members) on Boards
placed there and then not listened to, or given training in
vocabulary, policy or other concepts crucial to their roles, or
listened to with less emphasis than the business people or the adult
people. And that is not diversity. It is not inclusion.  And it wears
on the individual and they wonder why the heck they were chosen, if
not for their full selves.

Remember also that most Boards have a fiduciary (fiscal)
responsibility - if something goes wrong with the organization
financially, Board members' own personal finances can be at risk.
Some Boards have Board insurance, some do not.

Also many Boards have a requirement that Board Members donate or raise
a certain amount for fund-raising. Or buy lunch at the place the Board
meets.
Does the young person (or other community member) in mind have the
financial ability to do these things?

I have seen it play out as a class issue - a cultural assumption on
the part of very well-meaning, very nice fellow Board members.
Someone's financial level, or how much they understand a Board's
existing vocabulary, or assumptions about understanding of budgeting
concepts - have in my observation often put the young person (or other
community member) at the disadvantage for engaging equally in the
conversations, decisions and other work of the Board.

Consider also the value of Advisory Boards - consisting totally of an
organization's client or community members. A very valuable thing. So
if the client or youth voice is important in the work of the
organization (and I hope it is) there are many different possibilities
for inclusion.

And consider also that when we say 'young person' we may be in our
heads thinking of different ages - 12? 19? 26? 30? - so the inclusion
of 'young people' on Boards may be very different depending on our
definition for that organization's specific purposes and interests.

So all I am saying is - if you feel you can truly truly support the
young people you wish to have join your Board (so they can be equal,
not a 'mascot' to the Board, not exhausted by trying to keep up with
the others who speak and afford things at a totally different level),
and if you can truly truly select a young person who has knowledge,
skills and abilities that your Board needs, if you can always be
learning about what that diverse individual may need in order to truly
be an equal player, then - if it fits their personality and their own
learning / professional / growth goals - being on a Board may enrich
both the young person and the work of the organization. Sure, Board
meetings can be exceedingly boring for most folks. But for some folks
it is like participating in student government - they love it.

I have seen Boards who thoughtfully include the unique and skilled
individual young person - and provide them with ongoing support to
equalize class and financial differences - benefit from working with
their younger partners. I have also seen really well-intentioned
inclusion of young people waste the time and good nature of the young
person.

That's more than 2 cents ... thanks for your patience in reading my
longish thoughts...

Lisa

Lisa Heft
Consultant, Facilitator, Educator
Opening Space
lisaheft at openingspace.net

Ask me about the Open Space Learning Workshops - December 15-17, 2010
- San Francisco and in 2011 -- and the Power of Pre-Work in 2011