Youth Leaders

ashley cooper mail.easilyamazed at gmail.com
Sun Oct 10 07:44:02 PDT 2010

Hello all,

I'm thrilled that this thread is providing opportunities to think, feel and
express perspectives on the various roles we play, the impositions we make,
and some of the structuring within our societies (amongst many other things
obviously). Thank you for all of the caring that has been voiced.

For me it is such an honor to engage with people of all ages, youth
included, and to have the opportunities to experience how others are
experiencing the world we live in. The gratitude that young people express
for having adults around them that care about what they feel, think and
notice and encouraging them to follow their passion... well, it's a
tremendous gift to be in that presence and to companion them on that path.
And it's clearly a gift to have them along on my path!

I am constantly refreshed and renewed by the pure authenticity of joy, fun,
innocence and enthusiasm that many children still have in tact at the core
of their being. They are kids, they love being kids, and the experience we
created together with TEDxNextGenerationAsheville had at it's core an
imperative that they set. As one 17 year old said, "This is about the spirit
of adolescence." Mixing meaning and fun is what they are constantly doing
and who they are being. And it is a gift for me to get to reinforce that the
two can go together.

One of the teens that presented on the horrible realities of bullying in
schools (and proposed family to family mediation instead of just victim to
aggressor mediation and who also called out the fact that most adults in the
schools don't seem to know what to do to genuinely help the kids that are
being harassed daily) called me up the other day. A friend of her father's
is trying to start a non-profit for troubled teens. He wants some help and
she thought I might be able to support him or connect him with others in the
community. For me her call was a significant indicator that one of the
things that she's taken away from the TEDx experience was that there are
people in the community who want to help one another and want to work
together to make our community one that is a safe and nourishing place for
everyone to live. And that we can reach out to one another, ask for help,
make new connections and create opportunities together.

Another presenter told me that "I now feel a part of the community." In my
work with kids, I am hearing loud and clear that not only do they want the
freedom to be creative and follow their interests, but they want to know
that adults are watching them, caring about them, and encouraging them to
connect with what they find meaningful and interesting.

I was giving a talk to a youth service group made mostly of elders a couple
of weeks ago. I reached out to some teenagers before the talk, telling them
that I was talking to a group that wants to help young people, what would
you want them to know. Here are a few of their responses:

   "Just give kids the chance, adults often have a prejudice against young
people. Youth often have a fresh take on topics that can be very valuable
because we are the next adults. If you give us a chance now, imagine what we
can do when we are full fledged members of society."

"I say yes to local resources, but in a different light, PHYSICAL
resources. Like
if you want to make movies, maybe cameras for kids to rent for free. Or if
you want to record your band, a place to go for cheap. We don't have a lot
of money, so the last thing we should be asked for is large sums of money.
People who donate their "resources" will be paid back in the future when we
lend them a hand. Connections are key."

    "I'd just hope they'd just treat me like an adult. Be honest and upfront
and not mistrusting just because of our young age. "

More food for thought. Thank you for this space for sharing and hearing
different perspectives.

Warmest regards,
Ashley