pre-planned sessions?

Raffi Aftandelian raffi_1970 at YAHOO.COM
Wed Oct 27 12:31:10 PDT 2010

Queridos amigos del espacio abierto,

A friend of mine who took place in an OST event I organized and facilitated
recently (a daylong Compassionate Communication practice event) expressed
dissatisfaction about the following:

It seemed that most everyone who had convened a session already had a plan
for how it would go and there didn't seem to be much space to deviate from
this plan. From what I understand, she didn't really speak up for what she
wanted either- nor did she convene her own session(s).

Indeed, I knew that some people were going to convene particular sessions
and I did not intervene or say anything to these people beforehand.

I am curious, if you know that people are going to convene a particular
session beforehand, do you say anything to these conveners, given the
chance? Do you say anything during the formal opening of the space to
address this?

I wonder if there is no such thing as a perfect opening that addresses all
eventualities and that no doubt there will always be a few people who didn't
feel engaged/inspired enough by the opening to jump into the day with two feet?

Thanks!

abrazos,
Raphael