Results for Open Space on Civic Engagement

Christine Whitney Sanchez cwhitneysanchez at gmail.com
Thu Oct 14 23:19:30 PDT 2010

Dear Open Space Friends,

Many thanks for holding the space with me and Collaborative Spark on
September 23 as we opened the space for civic engagement in Phoenix
Arizona.  It was quite a day and, of course, the open space was full
of energy and passion!

For those who are interested in the results, please see below my
signature for the report.

Warm wishes from a warm Phoenix evening,

Christine

Christine Whitney Sanchez
CWS - Collaborative Wisdom & Strategy
2717 E. Mountain Sky Avenue
Phoenix, AZ 85048, USA
+1.480.759.0262
www.christinewhitneysanchez.com
www.innovationpartners.com
www.collaborativespark.com

Open Space Strategy Session

September 23, 2010

Phoenix, Arizona

If anything imaginable were possible, if there were no constraints
whatsoever,
how can we participate, collaborate and innovate to stimulate civic
action in Arizona?
On September 23, 2010, nearly 150 Arizonans gathered to discuss how to
increase civic engagement in Arizona.  As part of It’s Up to Me, AZ: A
Day of Civic Action, this Open Space strategy session made it possible
for the participants to generate topics and focus on what they most
cared about.  After two hours of lively discussions, more than 20% of
the participants committed to host further conversations on the most
exciting ideas for stimulating civic action.

Christine Whitney Sanchez and Collaborative Spark, a consulting group
with expertise in large-group conversations and deliberations, guided
the Open Space meeting. This process is a non-hierarchical,
transparent process that makes it easy for large groups to build on
each other’s ideas and self-organize for action around meaningful
issues and opportunities. It is a fun and dynamic way to release the
wisdom of the many.

Regina Blakely of Collaborative Spark began the session by performing
an original open space poem. Participants then created the agenda and
hosted breakout discussions on topics such as:

§   How can the arts most effectively stimulate civic action?

§   Take back the media

§   Abolishing human trafficking (posted by Senior Girl Scouts)

§   A great education for all children

§   Redistricting to ensure competitive districts

Each breakout group posted their most potent and actionable ideas.
One fifth of the participants were so passionate about civic action
ideas that they listed their contact information to host another
conversation and explore next steps.

The chart at http://collaborativespark.com/projects/open-space-
summary/ represents original discussion topics, hosts, action ideas,
participants who committed to host the next conversation and people
who have committed to participate in the next conversation.  If you
are interested in joining a conversation, please contact the host
listed in the chart.

For other questions about the Open Space session, please contact
Christine Whitney Sanchez at cwhitneysanchez at gmail.com.