open space and heros

Chris Corrigan chris at chriscorrigan.com
Mon Nov 29 15:14:53 PST 2010

Christine...

I don't have much more to add to what Lisa has said here, except to sya that my own experience has borne out the fact that high levels of diversity are a good thing and in fact if you have high levels of diversity in the room, OST is a very good process because it allows the resilience in the container to hold the passion that goes with that diversity.

Giving people different levels of status in OST is not something I would ever do.  The fact is that everyone has various bits and pieces of status because of their history and contributions and that is all going to be in the room.  But I would never organize structure around it - such as a "scientific committee."   The closest I have come is having indigenous Elders sitting at tables near the middle of the room while 150 people talked about an indigenous child welfare organization.  The Elders also convened sessions, but they had a space in the room that was theirs and throughout the day people came to visit with them.  I would do that in the context of your meeting though.  In fact the wise ones may actually be happy with just being treated like everyone else.

As for the fears, it is very difficult to engage in the "what if..." kind of hypothetical questions.  You would be hard pressed to bring me an unsubstantiated fear that I have not actually experienced in Open Space...what if no one posts a session?  Been there.  What if someone gets angry?  Yup.  What happens if a small group tries to take the process over?  Check.  THe more tied you are to your own outcomes, the harder these situations will be to deal with.  And if you are severley constrained by your own pre-determined outcomes, beyond even reasonable givens, you shouldn't really be using Open Space.

My learnings in all of these cases is that it worked out.  It wasn't always nice or fun, and occasionally it was a waste of time and money.  I'm not going to kid you that challenging situations can always be resolved by simply using Open Space.  This can be very hard work.  But if I could guarantee that everything we did was going to go perfectly we wouldn't need to meet would we?  Dealing with complex groups of humans always has the risk that things will be different than we expect.  Prepare to be surprised, because most of the time in Open Space, most people's expectations are exceeded.  Just don't panic, and if you get confused or ambushed, stop and ask everyone the question: what's going on here?  And then open space.

Sending you great good wishes.

Chris

----
Chris Corrigan