OST & Scientific Method

Lisa Heft lisaheft at openingspace.net
Thu Nov 25 12:23:39 PST 2010

I could not say it better, Chris - about moving people from the
abstract to the concrete.

And instead of talking about process (and I have found that most
prospective clients or participants not only are not interested in
process but are unsettled by hearing about process in advance of their
sitting in the circle), but use the tool when it is the right fit to
the task, and invite people to come based on task, deliverables (idea
generation, knowledge sharing, understanding across disciplines,
whatever).

No need to talk anybody into anything - just invite and welcome
participants (and your intellectual friend, Juan Luis) to come and he
either will or will not. I do not think that giving 'proof' will
answer his concern, either.
Whenever it's the right time, he might enjoy coming for the sake of
interest, not for scientific demonstration of anything.

And I am no expert on scientific measurement - I am just reflecting on
my small amount of knowledge about one facet of measuring such things.
Some years ago I was given funding and training in a partnership
between scientists and educators where the educators taught the
scientists about their innovative HIV/AIDS community education
projects and the scientists in turn taught us how to measure the
impact of those projects on behavior change and communication.

In this project and others that followed it I learned that the kind of
scientific measurement and evaluation that is typically done regarding
behavior change (which is often how academics look at dialogue work
and other such things) is very costly (data designers-gatherers-
analysts, outreach to prospective participants and design of data
collection materials, resources like phone and postage and travel
time, engagement and commitment of the groups being studied) and
requires following groups and individuals over time, measuring large
enough groups against other similar groups, and so on.  And the idea
is not to measure *intention to change* but actually measure if this
one event / tool changed behavior (or efficacy or whatever).

Well then, when you look at the generally-used theory of behavior
change, it is almost impossible to scientifically measure if *one*
situation / intervention (such as the participant's having attended a
fabulous, meaningful and productive Open Space event) was the thing
that changed someone's behavior (including inspired them to action or
change).  Because there are so many other influencers in that person's
environment - outside events, things that happen in one's personal
life, things that happen at work or in the world, how someone is
feeling physically or emotionally, what their support system is, what
their access is for the tools or information to support their change,
what in their environment, peers' norms or way they navigate through
the world supports / inhibits / delays that ability to change - and on
and on.  So you can see the challenge of truly knowing if one in a
series of things on one's life was 'the thing' that inspired-affected-
supported-began change.

And it is not just something one measures at the end of a retreat or
meeting (that is more about intention to change or ideas for action).
Behavior change - and the impact of things - is typically measured
over quite a long time after a catalyst event - noting everything else
that is happening that may affect or inform the person and noting what
was still true after a bit of time had passed.

So it's a very costly thing to do that can be very hard to do with our
clients and communities in the contexts we work with them.

Of course it is also true that we need different ways of measuring.
I remember Larry and Peggy and others designing and inviting an
appreciative interview process to gather narrative, reflective data
about experiencing or being affected by an Open Space event.

And I have seen whole walls full of data that I could not read, but I
could feel - in Open Space and other dialogue work I have done.
Some of you know that I am very interested in designing and exploring
the use of participant self-documentation in dialogue work.
For example, I recall the feeling of seeing 800 graphic images created
by 200 immigrant and refugee farmers, government and ngo
representatives about their discoveries, hopes, challenges and
imagined legacies as they reflected on farming and their connection to
it.  Or 240 graphic images created by HIV/AIDS scientists and
educators in Mozambique sharing learning about their own physical,
spiritual, emotional and mental health and wellness.

So sure, you could measure that there were 40 images of tractors or
100 images of family in those graphics - but I do not think measuring
in terms of numbers is the only way we will know how to measure things
in the future.
I am excited about the breakthroughs we will have in our thinking
about new ways to measure - including non-linear and diverse
modalities ways.
So excited.

Lisa

Lisa Heft