speaking from the center

Lisa Heft lisaheft at openingspace.net
Thu Nov 18 20:42:42 PST 2010

Hello, dear Eleder - once again you ask great questions.

Everyone has shared so wonderfully.
The only things I would add are:

In my Open Space Learning Workshop one of the things folks do is
practice walking and talking in that circle.
And yes - others have mentioned as you have their concern with having
their backs to someone as they speak.

What they have found is similar to what was mentioned here - if you
look a few people ahead and keep moving (slowly, breathing, present)
you are indeed never having your back to anyone for very long. If you
turn your head as you move you are including people behind you as you
travel, as well. If your voice is loud enough or you have a microphone
everyone can hear you even if you are not facing everyone.

Of course this is all different if some people in your circle have any
hearing differences such as deafness or other hearing loss - so it is
always good to ask on registration forms who has any access /
ability / mobility issues they would like to bring to event
coordinators' attention. Then you have this extra info if you need it
for some individuals, and can give them extra eye contact or some
notes as well.

It is true that having too small a circle and towering over people is
hard for them - so do make a nice big circle with room in between each
chair. And if it is too small on the inside I see no problem with
walking the outside of the circle (though when I have done this some
of my OS colleagues have *gasped* !.  But it is so I do not close
everyone in too tightly, in those instances.

I have also learned from my workshop participants that if you have any
nervousness about looking people in the eye, try instead....looking at
the tops of their heads (!).
It often feels like you are looking at them - try it.

But I think you will become more and more comfortable as you practice,
sort how you like to say things, and experience yourself doing it more
and more.

Sometimes if it is a tense event to come - I may set up the circle and
then walk, it, before any participants arrive. And I envision the
participants and their listening faces, and I smile and welcome them
before they get there.

Mostly - Suzanne said it so well: it is of course not about you. It is
about them. So if you focus on them and on making your voice and the
instructions something they can hear and that invites them, then once
you begin you are in partnership with them - and they can feel it...

And the other 'mostly' is: remember you are in your walking, your
breathing, your explaining - creating a container that is open and
welcoming and has tools and a process - so that they can do their best
work.
You are with your walk, your voice, your instructions, your
breathing... weaving that open and inviting container. And in your
walking you are invoking (calling in) energy.

And you know how to do that, dear Eleder - just.... breathe....
and ... go.... and be amazed, as I know you are....

Lisa

Lisa Heft
Consultant, Facilitator, Educator
Opening Space