SV: Giving context, clarifying the theme was: OST following a creative enhacing training

Thomas Herrmann thomas at openspaceconsulting.com
Mon Nov 15 13:13:09 PST 2010

Dear Harrison

Thanks for your reply (came directly to me, so I post my answer + your reply
here). My experience is that sometimes people come to an event, having
“read” the invitation without understanding that it is something completely
different than the traditional type of gatherings – especially noticeable
when it’s to an OS-meeting or to another open participative process – and
when people are not used to this at all. I think some people already have
their mind set, and don’t see that it’s something different – although there
are no speakers listed and only a starting and ending time.

In the pre-work I always design specific time to facilitate a process with
the planning group to find a compelling theme. I often quote Chris’
statement from the list, and ask them – “does this really turn you on?”
Still this happens every now and then

In the future I will have this conversation even more clearly with my
sponsors – we have to shake people, turn them upside down, or make them
upset
to really to give them a chance to understand that this is something
different. Any ideas to make this more clear for participants are
appreciated.

Warm regards

Thomas