OST following a creative enhacing training

Harrison Owen hhowen at verizon.net
Sat Nov 13 12:33:50 PST 2010

Artur (me again) --- Some years ago a Canadian Bank did a 2 day Open Space
on The Future of the Bank which involved all the senior leadership and about
100 very bright young managers. In order the hedge their bet they hired a
friend of mine to do a 1 day Creativity Building the day before.
Incidentally I didn't know my friend was going to do it until I saw him at
the front of the room. Anyhow  my friend pulled out all the stops and folks
were definitely creative as hell. Then the next two days in Open Space ---
which was totally wild and wonderful. However, as I was leaving the venue
more than a few of the participants, senior folks and young ones alike took
me to the side to say that while they certainly liked the creativities (fun)
they were very pale when compared to the productive High Play of Open Space.
One guy put it pretty bluntly. Nice, he said (referring the first day), but
why did we waste all that time?

Having just done another Open Space the week before with a comparable group,
for the life of me I could see no difference except possibly that the Bank
OST took off a little slower. I initially attributed it to the fact that
they were all a bunch of bankers - but then I noticed that some of them were
spending some little time trying to remember and try out what they had
supposedly learned the day before. Eventually they just gave up and
everything flowed on with its usual zest.

The day after the Bank OST we all gathered for a post mortem. I did
everything in my power to avoid my friend and the question I knew he was
dying to ask. But eventually he cornered me and I had to answer - No
difference.

Harrison

Harrison Owen

7808 River Falls Dr.

Potomac, MD 20854

USA

Phone 301-365-2093

www.openspaceworld.com

www.ho-image.com (Personal Website)

To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives of
oslist at listserv.boisestate.edu: