OS and mediation and Laur

Harrison Owen hhowen at verizon.net
Sat Nov 13 05:57:11 PST 2010

Franklin - My feelings precisely! And I would probably go a little further.
In my experience in extreme environments, where the conflict has become
overly destructive, Open Space IS the mediating modality. This is not to say
that alternative approaches have no impact, but in every case that I have
witnessed they were infinitely less effective, especially when you take into
account the amount of time and effort required. And when these approaches
were most effective it turned out that the mediator operated with light or
invisible hands. In a word, he/she simply held space and the engaged parties
essentially did it all. All of which would seem to take us back to Open
Space. The reasons, I am sure, are various and complex, but I think it is
the case that no external party can ever possibly understand the complexity
of the issues involved, their massive and ill defined connections, all
combined with the (rapidly) changing nature of the total scene. These are
not bad people and their hearts and minds are certainly in the right place -
but the task they have taken on is simply overwhelming. More to the point
the assembled group, united only by their common caring for some resolution
carries all the history, all the complexity, combined with a nanosecond to
nanosecond awareness of the present evolving situation-which their
collective wisdom (Wisdom of Crowds) is usually able to weave together in a
useful fashion. No help needed save for a single individual to open and hold
the time/space in which all of that can take place.

Way back when I asked whether we were talking about mediation or meditation,
I really wasn't being obtuse. Given what I have said above, you will not be
surprised that I see little point in combining Open Space with Mediation.
However, when it comes to Meditation, that is a horse of a totally different
color. In fact if my own experience is any indicator, failure to combine
Open Space and Meditation in a high conflict situation is the perfect
prescription for frying your soul. Holding space under extreme circumstances
will require extreme degrees of focused presence. Meditation helps.

Harrison

Harrison Owen

7808 River Falls Dr.

Potomac, MD 20854

USA

Phone 301-365-2093

www.openspaceworld.com

www.ho-image.com (Personal Website)

To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives of
<mailto:oslist at listserv.boisestate.edu> oslist at listserv.boisestate.edu:

 <http://listserv.boisestate.edu/archives/oslist.html>