self-organization and "conscious" Open Space organizations [was OST and PD (Positive Deviance)]

Harrison Owen hhowen at verizon.net
Thu Nov 11 12:05:17 PST 2010

Hi Raffi -- Curious! Birgit is a nice lady for sure, and surely entitled to
think what she thinks. There is no doubt that Spirit has always been a most
important presence in my thought and in all of my experiences with Open
Space. I can scarcely hide from that especially when my first book carried
the (at the time outrageous) title of "Spirit: Transformation and
Development in Organizations." (1987) But the reality of self organization
was right in there from the beginning. It is doubtless true that over time I
have gained some clarity about the function of self organizing systems, as
indeed we all have. But making the connection between our systems (human and
other sorts) and self organization was by no means a late arrival. I guess I
first spelled it out in some detail in my book, "Riding the Tiger" which was
published in 1991 -- which not incidentally has the first (abbreviated)
version of The User's Guide as an appendix. To tell the truth I guess I have
always been fascinated with the interplay of chaos and order in the evolving
process of our cosmos. Way back in 1960 the subtitle of my dissertation
could have been "Chaos, Order and the Creative Process." So for better or
for worse self organization has always been part of the mix, so far as I was
concerned. And what Birgit thinks happened in 1996, I really don't know. Of
course that doesn't make me right -- who knows it may all be the rancid
effect of ripe Roquefort cheese! Two martinis?

And it still all goes together so far as I can see. One might say -- Spirit
manifest in a self organizing world every time time/space is open. Of
course, when we close it all up, batten down the hatches, set arbitrary
limits, and seize control -- Spirit tends to go on holiday.

Harrison

Harrison Owen
7808 River Falls Dr.
Potomac, MD 20854
USA
Phone 301-365-2093
www.openspaceworld.com
www.ho-image.com (Personal Website)
To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives of
oslist at listserv.boisestate.edu: