OSLIST poetry contest

Jeff Aitken magic.teams at hotmail.com
Wed May 26 11:23:16 PDT 2010

we walk through the gate, enter the round structure, and drop into our seats. after a quick greeting from an official, someone stands and speaks the familiar phrases, slowly so all can hear; a few guidelines, some images of flight. a moment passes, and the lifting begins, and then we all feel it; our attention rushes forward, drawn by a powerful magnet. the lifting ends and our movement relaxes, changes shape; our attention spreads, drawn here and there, as we care to be drawn. four hundred people from different places look around and find ourselves bound with unusual comfort inside this space. whoever greeted us with that confident voice cannot be seen, yet this astonishing thin container holds us, strong and bouyant. in one direction we find vast new perspectives; in another we lean our heads in to quietly share personal stories. we live in this space both alone and together for hours; a meal, a nap perhaps. at the right time a bell sounds, and we return to our original seats, alert and attentive, invited to reflect on a memorable journey, with one last look around at our companions. we are returned safely to the earth, and we stand to leave; the confident one waits at the door to wish us well, and we walk into a new landscape. we are the same people, forever changed.