OST training and "certification"

Michael Herman michael at michaelherman.com
Tue May 25 20:07:40 PDT 2010

over time, i've gone from hosting programs, to teaching a practice, to
working with people to make facilitation decisions -- so that by the time
they get into open space as the facilitator, that's just a continuation of a
decision-making process we started together.  i want them to know how to
think differently about what their options are in every moment of their
facilitating, how to keep inviting responsibility and keep disappearing.

in the beginning, i hosted harrison in chicago and we often called it
'training.'  like you say, lisa, it's what people understood at the time.
it was half a dozen storytelling sessions led by harrison with big chunks of
open space, three separate "events," that i facilitated in teh middle.  i
liked that the third of these was an all-day event and we invited
"outsiders" (not in the training) to come for just that one day.  that gave
them a taste of os, and it gave those who'd been with us for two days a
chance to begin to retell harrison's stories with their own twist -- and to
start making open space plans for themselves.

after that i ran 2- and 3-day programs with oslist friends and colleagues
around the world, which we called "practice workshops" and "practice
retreats."  the more connected participants were to each other, and the more
"real" situations in which that they wanted to open space, the better it
seemed to go.  the emphasis was on the "open space as a practice in
invitation," the program had two or three big chunks of open space, and
participants were invited to work out plans (invite, invite lists, logistics
and documentation) for specific events.  we always addressed both sides of
inviting:  how to do inviting and how to be inviting as a leader or
facilitator in open space.

for the last several years, i've done almost exclusively one-on-one
coaching, or partnering, working through decisions with people facilitating
their first os (or just a more complex situation than they've seen before).
it's still about practice, but more specific.  i'm mostly listening to
people's situations, talking through options, considering merits and
implications of those options, explaining my recommendations or biases, but
then they always make their own choices.  i insist on working with real
situations, so there's real pressure to make those choices for the best.  i
think that helps people focus on the options and remember the roads not
taken, for next time they have to choose.  then they get real consequences,
feedback, results -- which we also talk through, afterward.

so that's how i'm thinking about what we do as os facilitators, what i think
might make us different:  we make decisions moment to moment (now?),
responding to whatever happens, whatever is, rather than following or trying
to always fight our way back to the pre-set plan or pre-determined result.
we keep trying to disappear, to get out of the way, to let others do more,
and to make their own choices, about whatever is.

Michael Herman
Michael Herman Associates

http://www.michaelherman.com
http://www.ronanparktrail.com