How do I get 8 groups to start cooperate?

Chris Corrigan chris at chriscorrigan.com
Wed May 19 09:26:56 PDT 2010

Hi Michael...

Two things come to mind...echoing Harrison, that if there are pressing issues, then you are ready to open space, perhaps around a theme of "how will we learn together as we move forward in this project?"  Something that invites any and all with ideas and experience to post them, host the conversations and record the results.  Some of those results can later be adopted by the whole group, not as agreements per se (with all the attendant structure for accountability) but as PRACTICES.  In other words, use the Open Space to initiate some "things we'd like to try" to see how they work in aid of supporting collaboration and cooperation.

The second thing I'd offer is, if you have some time with them and they are up for it, play some improvisational theatre games with them.  You can find a huge collection of games to play together by googling "improv games" (there is even an iPhone app called iProv which is great).  I've been playing these kinds of games with folks for the past year fairly intensively and it creates a lovely, fun and energetic learning container for experiencing the core competencies of collaboration.  If they begin to become fluent in the skills of improvisation they will have some grounded experience to take to their co-learning about working together in the business context as well.

Depends on how much you are willing to try with them, but it's all good.

Chris

----
Chris Corrigan
chris at chriscorrigan.com