VB: [OSLIST] London 2012

Lisa Heft lisaheft at openingspace.net
Wed May 19 06:07:53 PDT 2010

Hello, Jon -

The part that I can answer is a portion of your fourth question: where
does the profit go.
Since 2001 the tradition amongst Host Teams for WOSonOSs has been to -
after all bills are paid - donate their profits to Access Queen - to
'pay it forward' for the next years' Askers and to in this way support
the next year's Host Team's ability to include diverse people.

I use these funds to help 'Askers' (those who just need a small bit of
funding in order to make the difference in their ability to come) by
(depending on the Askers or Host Teams' needs and abilities that given
year) pay for some housing if home stays are not available, or make up
the difference in what is the cost for registration / lowest amount
the Host Team can afford to cover per-person costs / amount the Asker
themselves can contribute (all Askers contribute the most that they
can). Or I use these to give pocket money to some Askers if they need
it (this or to buy a book, join others going out to dinner or take the
metro - some of the hidden / surprise costs of travel to another
country for lower-income folks).  Or to cover the food costs for
translators coming to the conference.  Things like that (and the Host
Teams and I stay in close contact to share any of these needs,
requests and resources).

In many years the money in my project goes down to zero at the time of
the conference as I place the remaining small funds into Askers' hands
if they need it. In some years some money remains in the fund to pay
forward into the next years' Askers needs. Some Host Teams make
substantial profit, some just a few dollars profit, and so it is not
the amount that one would weigh, it is the commitment, generosity and
act of paying forward whatever profit is raised.

Global Village Marketplace is a tradition at the WOSonOSs to help
people raise funds for their own travel expenses or to pay forward
into the Access Queen project. Silent Auction is another tradition at
the WOSonOSs to raise awareness and some funds for the Access Queen
project (depending on the hosting country and currency this is
sometimes more, sometimes less money. But again it is not the amount
that is the issue - it is the combined efforts and energy of
conference participants thinking of others and the awareness raising /
sharing resources and culture through our interchange of lovely items
and shared financial resources which is the 'goal'.

Some regional OSonOSs and individual hosts -also- donate some or all
of their profits to the Access Queen project to pay it forward towards
WOSonOS Askers.

I think it is wonderful that generous OpenSpaceniks contribute to
people they do not even know and may never meet, without having to see
(but just know) the results of their generosity and supportive energy,
because they know good things will happen and that they are directly
contributing to the richness of diversity and to the support of Open
Space around the world, person by person by person. A deep bow to you
all, on behalf of past and future Askers,

Lisa