world osonos?

Michael Herman michael at michaelherman.com
Tue May 18 23:58:54 PDT 2010

all good and true, lisa.  access to international gatherings is important,
for sure.  other kinds of access matter, too.  and i suspect that how we
navigate all of these issues will be important to the future of our story,
and practice, and community.

consider access to information -- and decision-making.  sometimes people say
that in open space all the people are equal, but i usually point out that
this isn't exactly true.  all the people have the same job: learning and
contributing as much as they can.  they also have equal access to
information -- meaning that anyone can take up the talking piece, anyone can
post an issue and take notes, and anyone can read the notes.

a few years ago, there was a group of 16 people who got together on the
phone to discuss (and ultimately make some decisions) about osonos events.
i was asked to make webpages for this group, but when i asked to join the
conversations, i was told that i did not qualify.  this is where this idea
of three-way rotations came up and some other decisions/stories were made
that strengthened and supported the way things are going now.

while it's true that anyone can post an invitation to something they'd call
an osonos, i'm sure that many would not dare because of the mystique that
we've created around this.  just as many people would not dare to ask for
money or other support for traveling to osonos if it were not for lisa's
access queening work.

one way to make it easier to convene osonos gatherings -- or just clearer --
would be to create a single osonos news space for all such events.  of
course anyone in any organization can always try to convene a meeting, but
this gets so much easier when one of us facilitator types waltzes in and
say's "here's the markers and the paper and there's the wall-- go for it!"
and then, when the ceo and the junior associate each post sessions on the
same wall, those issues -- not the people -- are equal.  they get equal
attention and have equal chance to attract the energy they need and deserve.

so this is what i have offered, from time to time, to help create.  the
rules would be simple, a bit like in an os event.  anyone can post an
invitation to an osonos (or stammiche, too, i suppose), and anyone posting
an invitation would be responsible for bringing back the notes.  if it was
all set up as a simple weblog, we could have three categories:  invites,
session notes (for indivicual sessions), and summaries.  any would-be
convener could have access for posting.

i think such a "wall" for the world would make the whole process more
transparent, accessible, and be a better demonstration of our practice than
our current focus on one big event a year.  i'm not saying don't have a big
event, i'm just saying that the few who attend this year's big event or
special conference call shouldn't be the ones who decide where the next "big
event" is, anymore than the ceo or anyone else gets to stand back and
highlight certain breakouts in an os event to say "now that's the most
important, let's all focus on that one."

if the invitation posting process was really as open and clear and simple --
and shared -- as open space meeting agendas are... then we could easily have
many osonos's proposed in any year and the whole of the community could then
be actively deciding for themselves which one would be the big event.

your suggestion that we all not worry about decisions taken by others is
good advice -- and -- the stories we have about osonos and yearlong
planning, local planning teams, and mysterious decision-making about
rotations and such, coupled with stories about the importance of having one
big event -- all gets in the way of a more open and emergent process of
inviting and convening and reporting.

i can offer to make such a world osonos wall space.  indeed i have offered
web support to hosts for many years.  we've done some experimenting and
learned some things.  i could build the new space in relatively short
order.  but of course, it will only really happen when the world community
chooses it -- when the fact *that* these conversations are happening gets to
be more important than *where* these conversations are happening -- and when
the osonos convening process is made as simple and open and clear as posting
a breakout session in an open space meeting.

if anyone out there is thinking of hosting an osonos sort of gathering,
stammiche, or other event, where there could be an invitation, notes, and
summary -- and you think such an online announcing and documenting process
would be helpful or interesting -- please let me know and we'll get it up
and running.  then anyone who wants to take a marker and paper and convene
an osonos needs only to ask for a username and password and away we go.

another option would be to create largely the same blog-posting-type process
within the ning site.  easier in some ways and more difficult in others.  my
bias would be to keep it clean and separate so the overall demonstration is
clearer and more accessible to the general surfing public.

i'm glad to do some of these techie things, as needed, if anyone wants to
play in this way.

michael

--

Michael Herman