4 July: 25 years of Open Space

Alan Stewart alanmstewart at gmail.com
Sun May 16 07:49:24 PDT 2010

Dear Suzanne and All

Here are thoughts to support your thesis (non academic!) about the
underpinning of the transforming power of OST. Which, when you gather in
the emotional stories and write them up with the passion, clarity and
journalistic professionalism of your post here, will be a winner.

The conversations you allude to -- from Harrison's books and many other
sources -  give a glimpse into what a desirable society might be like if
these reported experiences -- stories - could become ubiquitous,
permeating our and others interactions with others on a daily basis.

For such conversations and the telling of the emergent stories are
indeed works of art, as interpreted here:

We connect [art] to the power of revelation. Art attends us wherever we
see how to do something, how to say something, how to understand the
world, in new ways that were not accessible to us by the mere exercise
of those skills that we already possessed, or the acquisition of skills
that we were purposefully seeking.
/Donald Brook, Emeritus Professor of Fine Arts at Flinders University in
Adelaide, Australia/

I would mention that there is a lovely story now reverberating in a
particular enterprise with which I am associated in Hong Kong. This is
the reported experience of one participant in a session which I
facilitated recently. In doing this I invoked the principles of OST
while this was not an open space event.

I have always hungered for meaningful conversation, to hear things that
my heart and intuition readily recognize as truth. The conversations in
which I participated brought us all together, making us part of each
other, or at least, part of the same effort, as we stand witness to and
reflect each other's search for self-realization.

It was a very special morning for me. I am happy to have met all of you.
Let's make sure to have this new and different meeting often.

And I suggest [to potential participants in a forthcoming similar
session]: Expect personal growth and expect to find the way to your
Passion, for such 'being' connects us with our heart, where all our
dreams live.
/Magda Garshol (slightly adapted)/

Wiht all good wishes for your project and to all, particularly those now
wending their way home after the reportedly story filled WOSonOS in Berlin.

Go well

Alan