4 July: 25 years of Open Space

Harrison Owen hhowen at verizon.net
Fri May 14 15:32:44 PDT 2010

Jack I am  not sure that honoring me would be all that useful - but a book
of the sort you are talking about would be a superb resource not only for
our community, but even more importantly, for all those folks in the great
beyond who might need to know about Open Space.

To be most useful, creating a standard format will be essential. Nothing
complicated but maybe something like a) Event b)Participants c) Initiating
conditions (why do it?). d) Venue and Logistical considerations. e)
Highlights (No need to go through the whole process - but what really stands
out?) f) Impact and Follow-on g) Major learnings (What was new and
different?) h) Major questions - what left your head scratching?

The entries need not be massive, but of sufficient size to have some weight.
They should be substantive and carefully done, meaning less emotion and more
fact. - Oh yes, OS is emotional stuff, emotions are important -- but in this
case I think the facts need to create the emotions (the WOW! factor). The
reverse never works too well, I think - especially with great "unwashed"
world community. This is not about "proving" Open Space. I don't think we
have to and I am sure we could not do so even if we wanted. But we can lay
out the facts as we see them.

The last thing is some form of indexing and cross reference. Just reading a
list of cases can be fun - but it becomes a little tiresome if all you are
really interested in Education applications, etc.

Doing something like this can be an enormous undertaking. I know, having
done several. But it seems to me that if it is going to be done it should be
done well. How all that might take place I leave to anybody(s) who might
care. And the greatest present to me would be NOT to do it. I have written
my last book. J -- Having said all of that, I will be happy to help from the
margins.

Harrison

Harrison Owen

7808 River Falls Dr.

Potomac, MD 20854

USA

Phone 301-365-2093

www.openspaceworld.com

www.ho-image.com (Personal Website)

To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives of
<mailto:oslist at listserv.boisestate.edu> oslist at listserv.boisestate.edu:

 <http://listserv.boisestate.edu/archives/oslist.html>