Situation of the NING Site and Thanks to OSI-USA and two donors

Artur Silva arturfsilva at yahoo.com
Sat May 29 07:55:38 PDT 2010

[Copy of a Blog post, in the main page of the OST NING, for those of you that and are not there yet - Artur]

Some people have transmitted us their concerns about
what will happen to the OST NING after the decision from the NING organization
to stop the non premium Ning sites. By the way, this has been discussed in the
NING session that has been convened by myself, Lisa Heft and Shufang Tsai (whom
was not present in person, but only in spirit) in the recent WOSonOS in Berlin.

First, we want to clarify that the OST NING is
a premium NING, since we have decided to pay 25 US$ per month to
have this NING ads free. So the decision of the NING Organization to change its
policywill not affect us negatively in the short term. Indeed,
that change of policy may eventually be good for us, with a reduction from 25
US$ per month to 20 US$ per month...

Second, that amount (25 US$) has been paid by OSI
Portugal during the past months, as they have decided to support that cost
during 6 months (from March 2010 until August 2010, I think), as a
donation from OSI Portugal,

Indeed, the support of all the NING OST costs is (and
will be) in all cases supported directly by OSI Portugal, that will collect all
donations and make all payments to the NING organization. This will be a
separated "cost center" in OSI Portugal accounts, and will be
overtly and openly displayed to all of you. Let me also clarify that all
donations made through the "donation button", at the right of the
main page, will be collected by OSI Portugal, and will be used only for
the purpose of supporting this NING. As OSI Portugal is a registered
non-for-profit organization in an EU country they will in all cases provide a
receipt that, I think, is valid for tax deductions in all European Countries
(but please check with your local authorities).

Third, as this provision for tax free donations does
not apply to the USA, I want to publicly acknowledge and thank to OSI-USA, as
they have decided to collect donations to the NING from American citizens and
give them to us. People from US that want to make tax free donations to this
NING, please contact OSI-USA.

Fourth, I also want to acknowledge and thank the fact
that I have received at WOSonOS in Berlin two donations from the USA, made
through OSI-USA, one from Lisa Heft and the other from another American citizen
that prefers to be kept anonymous. This was an amount of 250 US$, equivalent
(at the time of conversion) to 170 Euros (unfortunately, due to the loss of the
value of the Euro since then, this is no longer equivalent - at least for the
time being - to 250 US$..). Anyhow I want to publicly thank OSI-USA, as well as
Lisa  and the anonymous donor.

In conclusion, I think that we will not have problems
during one year from now. Then, unless something better and cheaper than NING
will appear, I hope that we will have other donations from those of you that love
this place as we do...

Artur,

(in the name of your NING hosts: Artur, Lisa and
Shufang)