Thinking about hosting a future WOSonOS? New to travel? Lessons learned papers

Lisa Heft lisaheft at openingspace.net
Sat May 1 08:54:20 PDT 2010

Hello, dear colleagues -

I will be seeing some of you wonderful folks at the World Open Space
on Open Space (WOSonOS) in Berlin this month.

During these events we often share thoughts about future locations as
we share the WOSonOS around the world (intentionally crossing oceans
back and forth so that if the WOSonOS is not near you during one year,
it may be geographically closer to your part of the world the next year)

One of the things I do as Access Queen for our community is share
information and collected wisdom about the things that help people
access these annual international gatherings of ours.

So if you are coming to Berlin and have never traveled outside your
own country - if this international travel stuff is very new to you -
do send me an email directly at lisaheft at openingspace.net before May 8
(when I start my own travels) and I can send you a paper with things
to think about for first-time international travelers.

And if you are thinking of what it takes (preparation, planning,
timelines, traditions, team tasks, resources needed and more) to host
a future WOSonOS in your own country in some future year, contact me
directly before May 8 or after June 8 and I will send you the
collected wisdom from past WOSonOS hosts.

I have found that the work of a Host Team starts far in advance, is
best supported by a local team (instead of one passionate person on
their own) and hosted where there is an existing community of practice
(so that it is not a one-time OS experience or a first-time-with-OS
experience but instead something that connects to local existing
capacity and an existing OS facilitation community), that it is useful
to have experienced at least one WOSonOS (to see how it differs from
other OS events including some of the traditions shared from year to
year), that the majority of participants come over land and shorter
sea or air distances (so that figures into one's expectations of how
many participants may be expected), and more - my observations and
others' (similar to mine and different than mine) are in this document
and I am happy to share it with you.

Lastly, for those of you coming to the WOSonOS this month - I look
forward to seeing the marvelous items you pack along in your suitcase
to share: beautiful and interesting things from your countries and
communities to sell to each other in the Global Village Marketplace
and the Silent Auction to raise resources for 'Askers' who wish to
come to future WOSonOSs, and tasty delights from your regions to add
to the lovely dinner our wonderful Berlin Host Team is preparing (your
'International Suitcase Cuisine').  And I look forward to exploring
our thoughts,  experiences and ideas in the WOSonOS sessions.  My deep
thanks to the WOSonOS Host Team for all their hard work preparing for
a lovely event (and helping everyone with housing, registration, and
more) - and I shall see some of you in just a few weeks...

Lisa

Lisa Heft
Consultant, Facilitator, Educator
Opening Space
lisaheft at openingspace.net
www.openingspace.net

Ask me about the Open Space Learning Workshops - October 15-18, 2010 -
Medellin, Colombia and December 15-17, 2010 - San Francisco