Impressive People

Harrison Owen hhowen at VERIZON.NET
Wed Mar 3 06:17:34 PST 2010

Last week I was in Geneva Switzerland with the UN Human Rights people from
all over the world. Most impressive people doing impossible work. My host
was Anders Kompass who is head of field operations. Anders came to a
training program 10 years ago and has been opening space around the world in
some of the most restrictive spaces known – like between the government of
Columbia and the FARQ. Not much room there, and what space there is, is
hotly contested to say the least. When you get in the middle it can become
very nervous making. As you might guess I have enormous respect for Anders
and his colleagues, and when I was asked to be with them I felt truly
honored and privileged.

There were about 150 people sitting in that circle for two days and
everything happened just like usual. But the issues that people had passion
for were not quite ordinary. Such as: What about torture? Sex Slaves? Child
soldiers?  Every day business issues for their world. Our world. And thank
God they do that business. I felt humbled.

Harrison

Harrison Owen
7808 River Falls Dr.
Potomac, MD 20854