Disappointment after Open Space

Harrison Owen hhowen at verizon.net
Thu Mar 4 07:25:04 PST 2010

Chatting with a group from a recent Open Space two thoughts (among many)
were expressed and my attention was caught. The first thought/observation
was that the Open Space was without out question the most productive,
exciting, useful gathering that the group had ever experienced. No news
here, just open space as usual. The second thought was that the participants
could well feel disappointed and possibly disillusioned when they returned
to their regular work and did I feel responsible?

My first thought was - Responsible for what?  Certainly not for the fact
that the place of work was narrow, restrictive, oppressive, and painful.
And I really could not find much energy for the notion that we should have
anything less that real open space to avoid the possibility of
disappointment. As a matter of fact I found myself thinking that
disappointment and disillusionment might be the healthiest things that had
happened, especially if they led to something positive. And even if they
didn't I rather thought that it is always better to have loved and lost that
never to have loved at all. What do you think?

Harrison

PS Of course it won't help sales if it gets out that a possible effect of
Open Space is that people discover just how miserable they really are. That
could lead to all kinds of radical things.

Harrison Owen

7808 River Falls Dr.

Potomac, MD 20854

USA

Phone 301-365-2093

www.openspaceworld.com

www.ho-image.com (Personal Website)

To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives of
oslist at listserv.boisestate.edu: