Opening space in Tel Aviv

Phelim McDermott phelim at mac.com
Thu Jun 3 14:16:14 PDT 2010

My advice..  Go slowly .... That's slower than you think. Hear the
translation... As the end of your sentence not your own words. Or see
it in the case of signing and notice the reaction. That's your
feedback. The more things being translated the more of the system
there is to take in more channels. What's great about this is it
demands a clarity around communicating things clearly and simply
however I have also found freedom in the poetry of this. Being
comfortable with chaos was definately helpful as things were respoken
and translated into sign in a kind of vibrant dance. Trust them to
self organise it and be happy to ask them to stop you if they haven't
got anything.

In Tel Aviv each deaf person and each Deaf/blind person had their own
signer Some with different types of sign language Russian/Hebrew and
Brail tapping. With signing I had to be prepared to lie down fast
whilst in the centre of the circle so signers could be seen across the
circle and also describe what I was doing for those without sight. I
also talked about feeling the energy of the people in the room as they
couldn't see each other. One nice thing was holding hands and sending
a pulse around the circle by hand squeezing as a message of thanks
from my heart to them all!

Quite an event.

Phelim

Sent from my iPhone