On "Failure"

Harrison Owen hhowen at verizon.net
Thu Jun 3 09:45:49 PDT 2010

Ralph -- Definitely right! Stuff happens!! Which always makes life
learning-full. (How's that for a neologism?) I totally loved your first
story, and as a senior citizen long addicted to napping my learning would be
that we might need an adjunct to the Law of Two Feet which indicated that if
bored and tired find a new position, including the horizontal. Actually if
my behavior over the years is any indication, I must have always assumed
that a good nap was a totally acceptable application of the law.

The second story could be fun, especially if we could find out why they did
what they did, and what happened later (result). I also had a very similar
situation where in the group essentially announced that it was all over at 2
pm on the first day. But what actually occurred was fascinating. The group
was a small company which had come together around the subject of their
future. You might call it Strategic Planning. But after 4 hours in Open
Space, including lunch they had surfaced a fact of their lives that
everybody knew, but nobody was willing to pronounce. They had no future. And
they quit. My take was that Open Space worked as usual but produced results
somewhat at variance with what the sponsor (President of the company)
probably had in mind. Or something.

Harrison

Harrison Owen
7808 River Falls Dr.
Potomac, MD 20854
USA
Phone 301-365-2093
www.openspaceworld.com
www.ho-image.com (Personal Website)
To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives of
oslist at listserv.boisestate.edu: