On "Failure" / Invitations

Harrison Owen hhowen at verizon.net
Fri Jun 4 06:38:24 PDT 2010

One of the themes that seems to be surfacing here is the whole subject of
Invitations. The Invitation (theme) is definitely important as it sets the
raison d’être and frame for the gathering. I know that some people spend
terrific amounts of time and effort crafting that invitation – but my
experience has taken me in a different direction. In fact I have found that
the effectiveness of the Invitation is (oddly) inversely proportional to
time/effort expended. The key, I think is the necessity for a “real business
issue” as a first condition for a functional Open Space. And a real business
issue (no matter how you define business) is something that hits you right
in the face. You don’t have to think about it very much, and in fact it is
pretty hard to think about anything else. It is also usually true that the
folks in the organization (those who might care) have already named it. That
name might be something less than elegant and seemingly lacking in precision
as an outsider might see it – but for those in the know, the people who care
(exactly the right people for the Open Space) – they will instantaneously
recognize “it.” Some years ago I received a call about doing an Open Space.
After some initial, rather generalized conversation, the person on the other
end of the line said in some deep pain, “Our system is broke in just about
every way a system can be broken and everybody knows it.” As it happened
that system (business) resided in the state of Arizona – and there was the
theme and invitation. “Fixing Arizona: Issues and Opportunities.” There was
no reason to give all the details, motivational encouragement, pleas for
attendance. Everybody who cared already knew.

Actually when you think about it, it is probably true that if you have to
spend a lot of effort developing and clarifying the focal issue the chances
are you don’t have a “real business issue.” That being the case, doing an
Open Space may not be the appropriate way to go. Without the passion, focus,
and caring not too much is likely to happen. I guess that is not too
surprising as without passion, focus, and caring not too much happens in any
other part of life either.

Harrison

Harrison Owen

7808 River Falls Dr.

Potomac, MD 20854

USA

Phone 301-365-2093

www.openspaceworld.com

www.ho-image.com (Personal Website)

To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives of
<mailto:oslist at listserv.boisestate.edu> oslist at listserv.boisestate.edu:

 <http://listserv.boisestate.edu/archives/oslist.html>