Shy people... (?) (or shy systems...?)

Chris Corrigan chris at chriscorrigan.com
Mon Jul 26 09:39:45 PDT 2010

One quick story on shy, and shame.

I was once running a series of OST events for a child welfare agency I was working with. We had many community members at these gatherings, talking about re-creating the system.

At one of these meetings two things happened that have always stayed with me when I think of shy people in Open Space.

The first was a woman who had a very hard time writing.  She had a burning issue and went to get paper and markers, but she couldn't spell.  She turned to someone and asked for help.  As she slowly wrote out letters, markings which made no sense to her, we all watched patiently.  Whenever she made a istake, instead of scribbling out the wrong letter, she started the whole word again.  It took a long time and she was the last person to post.

When she was finally done, she spoke her topic, placed it on the wall and we were off.  Her complete illiteracy in a written environment didn't affect her ability to participate at all.  I have no doubt that there have been ties when others were too shy to show their writing sills in public, but this woman taught me that it's possible.

Also in that Open Space, I noticed that a session had gone up without being announced on "sexual abuse."  When the time came for that session, one woman sat alone in the space, and seeing that a social worker went over to her and they had a great conversation.  She later reported in the closing circle that this had been the best day of her life.  The issue she posted - without announcing it - was a personal one and her needs got met.

I never force people to announce their topics or to do anything actually.  The process is big enough for all.

Chris

----
Chris Corrigan
chris at chriscorrigan.com