Opening circle without seats

Csaba Lengyel csaba.lengyel.consulting at GMAIL.COM
Sun Jul 18 09:07:40 PDT 2010

Dear Michael, Phelim, Peggy, Lisa and Barry,

Thank you very much for your valuable insights related to my issue. I have
to realise againn that OSLIST is such a great community!

Summing up the learnings:
- we will try to use masking tape (if allowed) to mark at least the inner
and outer circle of the sitting area + marking corridors for entry into
the circle (if not allowed we'll simply use Barry's suggestion - using
some objects/volunteers to mark the outer and inner circle
and "instructing" the first few people arriving at the venue how we will
sit)
- we'll consult the sponsors if there are people with specific mobility
issues and if yes, we arrange some facilities for them (Lisa, thank you
for this consideration).
- for announcments we will use a microphone stand at the edge of the
circle (something like the Berlin WOSonOS setup)

You also gave me sports hall specific ideas (to tell the truth I haven't
had the chance to see the venue - also have to admit I was a bit afraid,
once I had a bad experience with sports hall as a potential venue, it was
so unconvenient for setting up the OS environment, we have to change it),
they are also very useful:
- big issue is placement of the agenda wall and the memos (I hope there is
some solution for this - I will let you know :-)
- the balloons for marking the breakout places and hanging the texts is a
great idea (thank you Michael - BTW, how did you get the helium tanks? :-)

Also I'm quite visual, so the photos, and videos were very useful for me
(Peggy, Phelim, Michael special thanks to you :), also the auditorium
setup of Phelim is brilliantly innovative - I would have probably run away
having looked at the place...)

The event will take place in 2 weeks time -  well... a bit close, but we
have just been asked to facilitate the event, so we have to live with it.
We won't see the place before next weekend (it's in a quite remote city),
but I will ask for good photos asap (now it's quite clear we might have a
lot of issues to solve...)

I hope we can manage it :)

Also one last question, taking into consideration that we will have 300
very active students for one full day of OS (let's say with 3 breakout
sessions), how many berakout places would you calculate? (My first guess
is 20-25.)

Many thanks again from a (finally) little cooler ans windy but still sunny
Budapest afternoon,

Csaba