temple bells - how to use?

Barry Owen barryo at comcast.net
Thu Jul 8 12:22:11 PDT 2010

A wee bit out of context (or not).

I sometimes take my bells on hikes, find a quiet place in the woods and
settle in quietly.

Once the environment (wildlife) forgets my intrusion and goes back about its
normal business, I ring the bells once . . . and watch.
 I find them to be just as powerful out there in the "rough" as they are in
a room full of people.

On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 1:23 PM, Steve Cochran <scochran305 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Wendy's MO is mine as well for the opening and closing. Thanks
> for 'charging and conditioning' idea - I'll use it.
>
> In addition, I usually have mine in my briefcase at all times and find many
> chances to offer to use them in all kinds of situations that seem to need
> them (vs. yelling or clapping to get attention).  As we all know, it's
> wonderful to see how people respond. Always helps a community come together
> in a much moer gentle way than most folks have experienced. Often times,
> someone who knows me in such a setting will seek me out and ask, "Do you
> have your bells?"
>
> Thank you for this discussion, karolina - wonderful.
>
> Best to All - Steve
>
>   On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 1:27 PM, Wendy Farmer-O'Neil <wendy at xe.net>wrote:
>
>> Really good points, Chris.
>>
>> I use the bells only as part of my initial opening of the space and then
>> to open the closing circle.  I often use them before participants arrive to
>> condition and charge the space as a lot of venues have cluttered energy or
>> low energy.  I've found ringing them in the corners of the room and in the
>> center of the space (and anywhere else that intuition says needs a lift)
>> helpful. (Again, I do this before other participants arrive, as part of
>> general set up.)
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Wendy
>>
>>  On 8-Jul-10, at 9:35 AM, Chris Corrigan wrote:
>>
>>  Bells can get overused and can lose their appeal and charm, so use them
>> infrequently and with the pacing and mindfulness that Lisa and Wendy both
>> suggest.
>>
>> Also, be careful how you pick them up.  I find that the bells reveal one's
>> inner state like nothing else.  If you pick them up without consciousness,
>> and you grab the cord in the middle, they clatter and ring and crash and
>> lose their power, and you will find yourself embarrassed and apologetic.  In
>> all things balance is good, but not in picking up ting sha.  If you pick up
>> the bells by the cord holding them closer to one end or the other, the bells
>> won't collide.  That way when you finally do ring them the sound will have
>> been previously unheard and therefore more powerful.
>>
>> Finally, something I have learned working in Native communities here in
>> Canada...if there are a lot of Elders in the room, the bells will often
>> remind them of the time they went to Church-run residential schools which
>> were resulted in very traumatic experiences for many many people.  As a
>> result I rarely use bells anymore in these contexts, preferring instead to
>> call people back together with a drum or some other more appropriate
>> attention-getting sound.
>>
>> Chris
>>

>>  ----
>> Chris Corrigan
>> chris at chriscorrigan.com
>> http://www.chriscorrigan.com
>>

>>  On 2010-07-07, at 8:57 AM, Lisa Heft wrote:
>>
>>  I bow to you, Ms. Karolina.

> [...]

Barry Owen
Real Estate Broker
Professional Coach
Keller Williams Realty

Connect with me @ Twitter, Facebook, Linkedin, Plaxo

Call me: 615-568-2123

Read my Blog: http://activerain.com/blogs/barryo
Visit The Owen Group http://www.theowengroup.net
http://www.owengroupnashvillehomes.com
Barry Owen’s Internet Portal to all blogsites, websites, and social networks
http://tnrealestatetribalhub.wordpress.com/2009/06/02/barry-owens-web-portal/

Simply & BOLDLY Living the FourFold Way in Open Space!

Quintessentially connected to the real estate industry to offer the ultimate
experience for Home Buyers and Sellers in Middle Tennessee . . . Inquire
within!