Bar Camp and OST

Kaliya * identitywoman at gmail.com
Wed Jan 27 11:51:04 PST 2010

What is ironic is he is missing the roll of a facilitator holding space and
supporting the agenda creation process. This is often what is completely
missing at BarCamp style events.

There is often just a wall with a schedule grid and no real invitation to
create the agenda together...and announce topics (thus making the
face/body/person to topic connection). People who "know" just sort of get
there and put themselves on the agenda without any group process.

I almost never have anyone put check marks or dots on what sessions they
want to go to. When I have done that I find people cancel sessions that have
"little" interest - this goes against the principle that who ever comes are
the right people.

He still has the frame of presentors/panelists. This is soooo barCAmp cause
they say "you must present" in order to attend and comes directly out of the
FOOCamp stipulation of the same in their creating of an "fight room" for
attention and "showing" your importance to the O'Reilly staff who are using
the event to "pick" who is interesting to them in the coming year to write
books or present at their for profit conferences.

Open Space events tend strongly towards conversation. This is not well
understood as "of value" in the tech/BarCamp community or articulated in
their "online registration processes" (notice I didn't say invite - cause
"YOU MUST PRESENT" is not inviting)

I thought of another difference but is escapes me right now.
-Kaliya