Celebrating Stories

Patricia Haines levelgreeninstitute at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 11 07:17:38 PST 2010

Andrew:
We don't have a proposal for your Conference, but - you asked for stories about stories; and I know my colleages (above) would love to know more about what you're up to with your Stories.

The Center for Environmental Sustainability has hosted a Earth Day celebration for Ithaca, NY for the past 12 years. For 2010, we are shifting gears, and rather than a centralized 'green' expo-type event, we're inviting communities throughout our county to create their own celebrations grounded by informal gatherings to share their own stories about the roles their land and local environment have played in their own and their families' lives.

We know there is a lot of wisdom to be gained from such stories - from young as well as old. Local historians, librarians, community associations, churches and other groups are coming forward with their own ideas - and we hope it will become an annual tradition.

Will information from your conference be available on completion? I'd love to learn more.

Patricia Haines, Director, Level Green Institute

LEVEL GREEN - working on local and global levels to foster Just & sustainable community through collaborative initiatives in hospitality, education and the arts, in the democratic spirit of the Danish Folk School. 1519 Slaterville Road, Ithaca, NY 14850 (607) 339-9472