Any experiences of OS and demonstrations?

Michael Pannwitz michael.pannwitz at boscop.org
Tue Feb 23 00:49:57 PST 2010

Dear Eva, dear all,

knowing that nation states have different laws and traditions - here is a
german (?) approach to potential
space invasion. I am posting this due to a real case below and due to
theoretical discussions we have had in the past years about the possible
benefits of open space to groups with a fascist or right extremist violent
agenda. Would the experience be transformational in a positive way or only
add to their effectiveness?!

We were confronted with the very
possible invasion of an open space by people belonging to right extreme
groups in one of the outer districts of Berlin. The theme was "strengthening
democracy in Treptow-Koepenick" (a city of the federal state Berlin) with
the official sponsors being the local Center for Democracy and one of the
major german political foundations associated with the social demoractic
party. The conference was supported by a local network involving all
democratic parties as well as NGOs, youth & elderly people - a good
representation of the district. The invitation included a note pointing out
that known members of right extremist groups as well as poeple inciting
hatred through discriminatory language will be removed from the conference.
This has actually become a standard note for many conferences dealing with
the issue of right extreme violence. For this particular event the police
was strategically involved upfront to keep the space safe - even though
there was no uniformed police at the conference. This caution is due to
still increasing right extreme violence. Some terrorist groups are
collecting data on people & organizations opposing their activities with the
goal of violently intimidating them.

What led up to this open space:
The district is under pressure to develop strategies to actively live
together as a community in a peaceful & democratic way. In the year 2000 the
National Democratic Party (largest right extreme party in Germany) moved
their national headquaters to this district. Since then there has been an
increase in extremist violence & terror with a rising presence of
individuals connected to terrorist paramilitary groups.
- still a threat, keeping public space safe -
Their strategic presence is a constant threat & intended political
provocation in the capital. For example last November the Berlin group
"Frontbanner 24" was declared illegal because of their right extreme
intentions against the state, they were publicly wearing uniforms similar to
the SA acting in their tradition.

PS. WOSONOS takes place in one of Berlins safest districts. Last week one of
the largest right extreme demonstrations was stopped in Dresden by civil
disobedience - about 10.000 people strategically blocking access to the city
all day in the snow and another 10.000 peacefully demonstrating in the
historic center. Plus 7.000 police preventing violence.

love & peace from Berlin-Kreuzberg

michael

--
Michael Pannwitz, boscop eg