updates from Port au Prince

John Engle john at haitipartners.org
Mon Feb 1 18:13:14 PST 2010

Dear friends on OSLIST,

Please forgive me for not being in touch. It's been a crazy 3 weeks but as Doug and others have said, my wife Merline and I and our 2 children are safe and sound. We have a number of family members who have lost their homes and who are now living with us. We've not lost any close family members or colleagues but know countless people who have. As you can imagine, the stories are heartbreaking.

We've recently had a medical team from US and still have several colleagues staying with us. Our house is full with 15-20 people a night. We're just grateful to have it! And we're in a secure place and our kids (Daniel, 4 and Leila, 2) are having a great time each day playing with cousins.

Our house shook like crazy when the earthquake struck and I was on second floor with Daniel and Leila.  But there appears to be no damage. We slept outside for three nights but then resumed sleeping inside. We had just added a second floor to our house in November.

I want to express deep gratitude for how people have reached out to me and to our work (www.haitipartners.org). It means so much to me! I've heard from so many of you and the ways that you're reaching out to people of Haiti touches us deeply. In fact, Fremy Cesar, who many of you know, is sitting beside me as i type. He came into the country through Dominican Republic today. He's spent more than a year with his wife and son in Guadeloupe completing a master's degree.

Unfortunately, Fremy lost his home but will only see what remains tomorrow. What's worse is that there were several of his friends and colleagues inside at the time using internet. One was an American woman who was visiting who had her leg crushed and had to have it amputated. Here's a video clip of Fremy's home: http://www.haitipartners.org/2010/01/christa-brelsford/

I'm posting regular video updates at http://www.haitipartners.org/the-blog/

Again, thank you friends for keeping Haiti on your hearts.

With deep gratitude,

John

John Engle - On the ground daily updates at http://www.haitipartners.org/the-blog/

Co-Director