oslist will end soon -- it's time to deliberate, decide and act

Michael Herman michael at michaelherman.com
Wed Dec 1 16:03:57 PST 2010

oh, okay, harold.  that's fine.  i thought your previous message said
listserv to listserv was still the better option.  i'm all for dumping it
and going open source.  as an ordinary participant in this world, simply
posting the 150 monthly logs with and index/search page would be enough.

so it seems the best way to go is the mailman route.  now i also remember
seeing (and trading some emails with) a guy named anthony thompson, who's
posted steps for convernting listserv to mailman.  he might be a resource
for you to tap.  he was very willing to help and i don't recall there was
any huge cost associated with that help.

as for getting the log files, the total package is 277MB (as of this
morning) and 75MB if it's all zipped.  logs go back monthly to 1999.  it'll
have to come by pony express on a CD.  right now, i have only the one
month's file, link posted in my earlier message.  can you do what you need
to with that one, for testing?  or with several copies of it?  if i get bsu
to send a dump of the thing now, i suppose i could get them to send the rest
later.  can you do this migration in batches like that?  anyway, tell me
what you think works best and i'll do it.

Michael Herman
Michael Herman Associates

http://MichaelHerman.com
http://RonanParkTrail.com