oslist archives future

Michael Herman michael at michaelherman.com
Wed Dec 1 10:00:16 PST 2010

well, having launched those two questions about archives and future
conversation, i need to wade into the archive side of things.

as it turns out, the link i sent earlier...
http://www.openspaceworld.org/oslist.log9904 does actually load up pretty
nicely in a browser, when it's loaded online (i tested it reading from my
desktop, previously).

so anyone can take a look at this page and see what the archives would look
like IF we just uploaded our 150ish files to a folder somewhere.  techies --
tell us please -- could such folder not have a simple search page set up so
that anyone could plug in what they wanted to search for and search just
that folder, to return a list of any of the 150 files that made reference to
the search terms?

IF we were able to turn all of these pages into pdf files, then when they
were opened, the search terms would be highlighted.  this might make things
easier for scrolling through, or the search instructions could just include
the suggestion to use your browser's "find in page" function to locate
search terms in each page.

main question, though... DO WE NEED TO DO MORE with the oslist archives than
simply make these 150 long pages available for searching?

does anybody out there go regularly or frequently to search the archives we
have now???  if so... can you tell us something about your searching???

thanks, m

--

Michael Herman
Michael Herman Associates