Scientists in Open Space

Diane Gibeault diane.gibeault at rogers.com
Thu Aug 5 11:39:54 PDT 2010

Hi Suzanne,

I did an OS event with over 50 scientists a few years ago. They loved it...because they are independent-minded, self-directed  and they found that OS was the best process to give them room for that. In another OS with 150 lawyers who are also independent....they liked it for the same reason.

> Which sectors?  Water - Lake management in Canada; government employed scientists

> Theme: setting their project and resource priorities for the coming year

> Hurdles: sponsor did not want computers (perception it was time consuming and more work to set up). Reports were hand written on a sheet of paper. End result of priorities was contested by some because all reports did not receive equivalent attention given the bad hand writing of some initiators and the time limitation of one day. A plenary discussion allowed to address and resolve concerns.

> How did it go overall? Great; they loved the process; client reassured her staff they would use computers in the future (and I personally have the same bias now if computers can be found) and to take at least 1.5 days if priorities are to be set.

The best to you and buckets of smiles from Ottawa Canada - we also have loads of sunshine this summer.
Diane