Scientists in Open Space

Stella Duffy stell at clara.co.uk
Thu Aug 5 10:53:34 PDT 2010

Hi Suzanne,
This week I had lunch with a scientist (particle physicist) who is helping
me research a short story commission. We were talking about what he does
(work on the Hadron Collider at Cern in Switzerland for the past two years,
teaching graduate particle physics in Manchester) and what I do (write, make
theatre) and we talked about how we work.
I was talking about how I make work with other people and he said ³at Cern
we say Œdo you want to come for a coffee?¹ when we mean, I need to talk
about an idea and I know it would help to talk to someone else. Coffee Room
2 has become known as the room where the most work gets done.²
Not surprisingly, I then told him about OS. He was really enthused about it
and said it sounds great.
I don¹t know many scientists, but what little I do know tells me they¹re
people who need to make big leaps in thinking, who are prepared to make many
many mistakes to find the Œright¹ answer ... Not a bad start?
Stella x