Opening space in the UK for WOSONOS 2012 London

Phelim McDermott phelim at mac.com
Fri Aug 27 13:36:34 PDT 2010

Dear All,

This is a message to fill you in on the current state of play for
WOSONOS 2012 in London. Below is an invitation to an initial open
space in November on how to make this happen. Please feel free to pass
on this invite to anyone you feel may be interested and may want to be
part of the open space to create our World open space!  By the way
Matilda and I are currently in San Francisco and are meeting up with
Lisa Heft shortly.. Yay!

Lots of love

Phelim and Matilda

Opening space in the UK for WOSONOS 2012 London

How will we make it happen? Do you want to be part of it?

In May of this year, at the close of the Berlin WOSONOS, we made an
invitation, which was accepted for WOSONOS 2012 to take place in
London, for the first time. It will be the 20th World Open Space on
Open Space since they first started in the States back in 1982.

  While it was Matilda that made the actual invite, it came on behalf
of the whole of Improbable, and with the support of the other U.K.
facilitators present – Romy Shovelton and Jon Harvey. First a brief
bit about Improbable, for those of you that don’t know:

Improbable create theatre, opera, site-specific work and since 2005,
Open Space events for the arts community and others, both in the UK
and throughout Europe and the States. The company’s research into and
application of Open Space has broadened our reach and purpose,
developing an approach to grappling with complex issues that has not
only caught the imagination of the arts community but has also had a
huge and very significant influence on Improbable’s working practices
as a whole. We now use Open Space to run our company meetings and to
create our theatre shows. You can look at other Improbable things at www.improbable.co.uk
.

After the Berlin WOSONOS, Matilda and Phelim (from Improbable) met
with Jon and Romy, and together we decided we wanted to use Open Space
to help us facilitate the coming together of a UK WOSONOS 2012 host
team. We want to ensure that anyone in the UK that wants to
participate is able to do so. We see this is as a fantastic
opportunity for UK OS facilitators, practitioners and participants to
meet one another and connect.

There are many different areas to be considered in hosting a WOSONOS
and so numerous different kinds of skills and roles are required:
websites to be designed and run; venues and accommodation to be found;
food to be planned; social events to be cooked up, and more…Please
come and contribute your ideas, passions, thoughts, concerns, dreams,
questions. All are welcome.

We will meet on the weekend of November 6th and 7th to open space for
a day and a half on our question: WOSONOS 2012 London UK: How will we
make it happen? Do you want to be part of it?

As yet we do not have a venue confirmed but please save the date and
the full details of place, time and Saturday night social will follow
ASAP. On Saturday the day will run from 11am till 6pm, and on Sunday
from 10am to 1pm.

  We very much look forward to seeing you there.

 From all at Improbable together with Jon and Romy