Everything is Moving:

Robyn Williams pov at iinet.net.au
Mon Aug 23 20:40:28 PDT 2010

For the non-scientists on the list who would like to try and wrap their minds around the reality (as we currently perceive it) of this view I can recommend Bill Bryson's book, "A Short History of Nearly Everything". A Guardian reviewer said, "Truly impressive...it's hard to imagine a better rough guide to science".

It's great read, full of astonishing information, delivered with Bryson's intelligent fascination with the physical universe and cheeky wit.

I've found myself gasping in wonder at what we know, think we know and accept that we haven't got a clue about. The humour of the author provides light relief while one is processing the astonishing mystery of it all.

best wishes, Robyn

M: 0424 587 262
P: 08 9331 8642
Skype: robyn.williams16

"Everything is moving and what we perceive as stable structures are but the momentary, slice in time, freeze-frame constructs of our imagination.

Heresy? Psychobabble?  Advanced esoteric insight? – None of the above,
I think. As a matter of fact, Ralph’s observation is nothing but a
short (poetic?) version of the (now) standard scientific understanding
of the nature of the cosmos. Starting with the Big Bang it is all
flowing energy, albeit now clumped in momentary configurations – but
still flowing energy for all of that. Scratch any rock hard enough and
its essential nature comes through – a whirring bunch of quarks and
neutrons doing the cosmic dance. Doubtless my physicist friends would
take issue with my phrasing – but not, I think, with the core message.
Everything is moving."